Scholarly Activity Leave
Scholarly Activity Leaves not in excess of one year may be granted by the President or a designated representative on recommendation of the dean (Ann Arbor Campus) or Chancellor (Flint or Dearborn campus). Such leaves may be granted to:
- Allow faculty members to accept “prestigious fellowships”, or
- To allow faculty members to accept a temporary appointment at another institution when the appointment would, in the interest of the University, permit the faculty member to engage in scholarly activities that would not be otherwise practicably available, and that would significantly enhance the professional effectiveness of the faculty member.
Regulations and Definitions
- Scholarly Activity Leaves are reported monthly to the Board of Regents.
- Compensation During Leave
- Salary - Leaves will normally be without salary, but if the award or available salary from the fellowship or other institution is less than the individual’s regular salary, at the request of the dean or Chancellor, a supplement may be provided to maintain the faculty member’s regular salary, or a portion thereof. Such supplements may be provided only if permitted by the rules of the fellowship or the other institution involved.
- Benefits - During a scholarly activity leave, the University will continue the faculty member’s enrollment in the benefit plans he or she was enrolled in immediately before the leave began, and will also continue to make University contributions toward those plans--under the terms described below.
Contingent on eligibility, during the leave the University will continue to cover the full cost of all benefit plans the faculty member is enrolled in that the University pays for in full (no employee contribution is required).
However, for the faculty member to continue to be enrolled in benefit plans that require a contribution from the faculty member, the University will continue these benefits and make contributions to them during the leave only if the faculty member makes the necessary employee contributions. Retirement contributions by the University will be based on actual salary paid by the University during the leave.
If the faculty member has elected a benefit plan that requires an employee contribution but does not make the necessary contributions during the leave, the University will discontinue coverage for the duration of the leave.
If the individual is ineligible for University contributions for expanded long term disability prior to the leave, but accrues the required years of service during the leave, the individual will become eligible for University contributions once the years of service are met. The individual may also begin contributions if applicable. If the individual is eligible to participate in a disability plan through another employer, the University of Michigan protection through the expanded long term disability plan is discontinued.
For questions about other benefit plans the faculty member should contact the HR Payroll Service Center.
- Vacation - No vacation allowance will be accumulated or paid while an individual is on Scholarly Activity Leave. Vacation allowances accumulated prior to the leave will be available upon return to active service at the University.
- Sick Leave - No sick leave allowance will be paid during the period of Scholarly Activity Leave. Sick leave allowances available prior to the leave will be available upon return to active service at the University.
- Length of Service - University service will continue to be accumulated during the leave.
- Sabbatical Equity - Sabbatical equity will not be earned during a Scholarly Activity Leave.
- Retirement Furlough Equity - Retirement furlough equity will continue to accrue during a Scholarly Activity Leave.
- Return Prior to Expiration - Return to active service prior to the expiration of the Scholarly Activity Leave will be at the option of the Chair or Director and Dean. Individuals who become incapacitated during a leave, resulting in cessation of external funding, will be returned to their former University status and provided any benefits that were available prior to the beginning of the Scholarly Activity Leave.