During the initial six (6) months of regular employment employees are considered probationary. There is no obligation to continue employment through the probationary period.
- Probationary employees may participate in the benefits and programs for which they are eligible, including sick and vacation time. Please consult the Benefits Office for rules regarding program eligibility.
- The probationary period normally shall not be extended. Extension of an employee’s probationary period must be approved by the appropriate Human Resources Office.
- An employee whose status changes from temporary to regular will serve a probationary period upon commencement of the regular position.
- Transferring or reinstating a regular employee does not create a new probationary period.
- The supervisor is responsible for assessing the employee’s quality and quantity of work to determine whether the employee warrants continued employment during and at the expiration of the probationary period. Supervisors are responsible for initiating termination if performance is not acceptable, or applying corrective action when performance warrants action other than termination.
|Printable PDF of 201X43.pdf||19.98 KB|
Hard copies of this document are considered uncontrolled. If you have a printed version, please refer to the University SPG website (spg.umich.edu) for the official, most recent version.