New and Changed Positions
Applies to: Regular staff except those covered by the terms of a collective bargaining agreement.
The University may establish or change positions.
- A “position” is a group of duties, responsibilities and working conditions requiring the service of one person for the hours per week specified.
- A “market referenced” position is one that is mapped to a market title based upon 60% or more of the primary duties aligning with the market description.
- The “mapping” of a position is the assignment of a position to a market title.
- New positions are mapped and existing positions re-mapped at the request of the department.
- Employees may initiate a review of their position's market title by contacting their supervisor or the appropriate department Human Resources Office or University Human Resources.
- Positions may be established or changed only after the following conditions have been met:
- Approval by the appropriate department budget authority; and
- Approval of the classification by the appropriate Human Resources Office.
- Applicants for employment may not be hired or processed before a position is established or classified.
This SPG was updated in October 2023 with related links.
Changes made on 6/16/2016 update terminology used in the Career Family Classification System