Transfer: Promotional, Lateral, and Demotional
Applies to: Regular staff with the exception of those represented by a bargaining unit
The University may reassign staff members by transferring them from one position to another in the same or another classification. Transfer will be made without regard to the non-relevant factors of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age,or sex except where sex or age are bona-fide occupational requirements.
Regulations and Definitions
A promotion is movement to a position in another classification at a greater level or responsibility.
- A promotional transfer will normally be accompanied by an increase in compensation.
- Vacancies will not normally be filled from outside the University until a reasonable efforthas been made to consider qualified University staff members.
- The transfer date normally should not be later than four (4)weeks from the date of acceptance by a staff member.
- A promotion may be initiated by the University or as the result of consideration of arequest by a staff member.
A lateral transfer is movement to a position in the same classification or to a position in another classification at a similar level of responsibility.
- A lateral transfer may be initiated by the University or as the result of a request by a staff member.
- A change in salary will not normally accompany a lateral transfer.
- The transfer date normally should not be later than four (4)weeks from the date of acceptance by the employing unit.
A demotional transfer is movement to a position in another classification at a lesser level of responsibility.
- A demotion may be initiated by the University or as the result of consideration of a request by a staff member, when factors beyond the control of the staff member or supervisor prevent the staff member from effectively performing in their their current position.
- A demotion may not be used as a form of disciplinary action.
- A demotion would normally be accompanied by a reduction in salary.
- In situations where transfer of a current employee with a disability into a vacant available position for which they are qualified constitutes a reasonable accommodation, the employee with the disability shall be transferred into the position
- No staff member is guaranteed a transfer.
- Staff members must have prior satisfactory work performance in order to be given consideration for a promotional transfer.