Work Rules and Conditions
In addition to policies that apply to all employees, departments may establish or modify rules and conditions of work to promote efficiency, safety and quality service. Day-to-day management is delegated to the departments and rules and conditions may therefore differ from department to department or within units. In all cases, such rules and conditions will be in accordance with the policies of the University and with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
Examples of such rules and conditions of work include, but are not limited to:
- Assignment of work, methods of work and location of work, including working remotely; setting of work schedules, starting and ending times, days of work, meal periods and rest periods.
- Dress and appearance standards including the wearing of and caring for uniforms or protective clothing.
- Safety standards and procedures.
- Use and care of University property.
- Rules of conduct ncluding means of communication (telephones, cell phones, voice mail, email, beepers, bulletin boards, etc.).
- Attendance and tardiness rules, procedures for reporting of illness and scheduling of time off.
- Departments may also establish other rules or conditions of work consistent with University policy.
April 2019: reviewed with no changes
This SPG was revised in October 2023 to include related links to resources and policies.